We created a lighter version of the classic green bean casserole recipe with mushrooms and crispy onions, and we think it tastes even better than the original! 21 Day Fix-creator Autumn Calabrese and her brother, chef Bobby Calabrese have put together an incredible menu of Fix-approved Thanksgiving recipes for their new cooking show FIXATE that are healthy versions of your favorites. From Green Bean Casserole and Cranberry Sauce to stuffing and Pumpkin Whoopie Pies, they’ve got you covered. Check out FIXATE here!
- 5 Tbsp. whole wheat purpose flour, divided use
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 medium onion, (½ onion thinly sliced, ½ onion chopped), divided use
- 3 tsp. olive oil, divided use
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves removed and chopped, stems discarded
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup nonfat milk
- 2 Tbsp. dry sherry wine
- 1 lb. frozen French-cut green beans
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Combine 2 Tbsp. flour, paprika, and garlic powder in a medium bowl; mix well.
- Add sliced onion; mix until well coated. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tsp. oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sliced onion mixture; cook, turning once or twice, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Remove from skillet and place on a paper towel. Set aside. Wipe skillet clean.
- Heat remaining 1 tsp. oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onions; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 4 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the liquid released from mushrooms is almost completely evaporated.
- Add remaining 3 Tbsp. flour, onion powder, thyme, salt, and pepper; mix until vegetables are coated.
- Add milk and sherry; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until bubbly and slightly thickened.
- Add green beans; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through.
- Add yogurt; mix until combined.
- Place green bean mixture in casserole dish. Top with onion mixture.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until casserole is bubbly.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat: 2 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 1 mg
Sodium: 199 mg
Carbohydrates: 14 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sugars: 6 g
Protein: 5 g
Body Beast Portions
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe.