Slow-cooking tougher cuts like beef brisket gives you meat so tender, it melts in your mouth. Top whole-wheat tortillas with Cooking Light’s slow-cooked barbacoa brisket, then add onions, cilantro, jalapeños and lime juice for an irresistible dinner tonight!
Slow Cooker Barbacoa Brisket
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle chilies in adobo sauce (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 pound trimmed beef brisket
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
Combine first 9 ingredients (through garlic) in a medium bowl, stirring well to combine. Rub mixture onto brisket.
Arrange tomatoes, onion, bell pepper and jalapeño in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Place the brisket on top of vegetables, and drizzle any remaining spice mixture over brisket and vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
Remove the brisket from the slow cooker, and shred meat with 2 forks. Return brisket to cooker, and toss with the vegetables.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 cup beef mixture
Per serving: Calories: 299; Total Fat: 14g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Monounsaturated Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 70mg; Sodium: 515mg; Carbohydrate: 11g; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Sugar: 7g; Protein: 32g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 145mg; Iron: 6%; Vitamin A: 15%; Vitamin C: 43%; Calcium: 2%